When was the Rimutaka Road built?
In 1843 The Rimutaka Hill Road was prepared for work by the surveyor, Samuel Brees, from the NZ Land Company. He marked out a track from the Pakuratahi River to Featherston. They started on cutting a bridle track after work was authorised, but due to the Maori protest in the Hutt Valley, all work ceased until 1847, until Sir George Grey gave instructions that work was to be resumed.
Rimutaka Road, Rimutaka Range
The oldest known image of the Rimutaka Road being built